Located on the major north-south thoroughfare in Old Town, this plaqued circa 1859 townhouse has been lovingly maintained to preserve the charm of yesterday and to offer the modern conveniences of today. The quality and elegance of this Italianate-style building are immediately evident upon entering and are reinforced throughout all four levels! Originally built by well-known Alexandria merchant Robert Hartshorne Miller and wife Anna, it was soon given to their son Elisha Janney Miller and his wife Betty Scott Ashby Miller. As half of a ~double house~ including 321 Washington Street, it was early on dubbed ~South Building.~ The original cornice and window hoods bespeak the lavish architecture of its origin. During the Civil War occupation of Alexandria by Union forces this structure, and its twin to the north saw evolution from officer~s quarters, to contraband lodging, to medical dispensary. The building includes upper level spaces that can serve commercial or residential uses. Elegant period millwork including crown molding, chair rail, picture slips, wainscoting. Large, dry basement, fully wired for internet telephone service and functional alarm system. Upper level currently being used as owner's residence, complete with full kitchen and bath. Coveted four tandem parking spots in rear of building! Pull-down stairs to attic for storage. Hot water heater replaced within last 3 years. Boiler replaced in 2015.
TTR Sotheby's International Realty
The information being provided by the Central Penn Multi-List, Inc is exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use, and it may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. The data is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed accurate by the MLS.